15 January 2020
iTrent Electric switch tips
Top tips to help you make the switch to iTrent Electric fast and pain-free
With the deadline to the Electric switch right around the corner, some organisations who haven’t fully switched their profiles may not be confident using their system after 1st April 2020 (the deadline has now been extended to 31st May 2020 due to Coronavirus).
With that in mind, we’ve got some tips and FAQs to ensure you’ve got the basics right, so that you’re ready to go in Electric!
Throughout 2019, we’ve had plenty of questions about the switch and how it will work. As a reminder, here are some FAQs to ensure you’re fully informed:
- Your iTrent system will switch to the Electric theme on 1st April 2020 (unless you have delayed). This will be a straight conversion of your existing profiles, so if existing links are available these will be converted. If there are no links added prior to the switch, no links will be available.
- Any links will need to be configured to access summary screens and correct searches which are different in Cyan and other themes.
- All security profiles and function accesses, including Sysadmin, will switch to Electric. Nothing will remain in any of the old themes.
- Upgrading to the 10.34 mandatory release will not affect which theme you are using and will not convert you to Electric.
- You are free to make the switch any time before 1st April 2020 (unless you have delayed).
- All users on 10.33 and beyond will see a pop-up message if they are not in Electric. This will not be seen by ESS users. It is now configurable so organisations can add their own additional content.
- New and improved functionality is developed for the Electric theme, which you will not be able to use until you have made the switch.
- If you are switching to Electric yourself, don’t forget to check the user guides, available on Service Cloud, which contain useful screenshots to help you make the changes.
Top tips to help you make the switch fast
So Electric is going to be a bit of a change, but in the long run you’ll be able to reap plenty of benefits. Our product team have pulled together some top tips to help you make the necessary steps to get prepared if you’re not fully switched already…
1. Create at least one profile
Every function access and profile will switch to Electric, so make sure you have one example Electric profile you are happy with before the switch. When you’ve learnt how to navigate and access everything you need, you will be able to use this profile as a template to help create your other accesses.
2. Rename your links
Rename your links to something memorable, rather than the standard names, so they’re easier to find when your system appearance changes if you haven’t linked them all.
3. Prioritise frequently used screens
Spend time with your users to understand what screens they use regularly and what processes they follow. You can then create links for these screens and place them into folders based on the way they work.
4. Navigate using Find iTrent pages
Encourage your users to navigate using Find iTrent pages. Once they get used to it, they will find out that it’s so much quicker to navigate around this way rather than using links. Did you know that you can quickly find a link by using the browser 'Find' function (shortcut keys: CTRL+F). This will help you search around the system when you aren’t sure about your navigation, especially if you’ve not renamed those links!
5. Tag screens for next time
If your users struggle to find a screen on Find iTrent pages or can’t remember its name, they can tag that screen with something memorable to them that will make it easier to find next time they search for it.
By following these tips before the March deadline, you’ll ensure your users aren’t left baffled on the 1st April 2020 (unless you have delayed), and can continue to get their tasks done, buying your organisation more time to get used to the changes.
If you need any help checking that your profiles are set up correctly, whether you have missed anything, or if you are struggling with a specific configuration change, iTrent Assist can support your switch. Now available to purchase in 10-hour packages, iTrent Assist can be used in 15 minute slots to work with your teams and get you updated in time.
If you don’t take the steps to migrate to Electric before the deadline, your users will struggle to navigate iTrent and it may take twice as long to carry out the day to day tasks, especially if your users can’t remember the names of the pages they frequently use.
There are also some screen shots below to show the difference between themes. If you aren’t sure you can make the switch in time, there is very limited consultancy support left available. Contact us as soon as possible if you think you might need some help.
If you found our tips useful, we've got some more, all about getting the most value out of your Electric theme once you're switched.